Luke 1:37 (KJV) – For with God nothing shall be impossible.
I Kings 17 (NIV)
- So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?”
- As she was going to get it, he called; “And bring me, please, a piece of bread,”
- “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread – only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it – and die.”
- Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid, Go home and do as you have said, But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son.
- For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel says, ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land.’”
- She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family.
- For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.
I. Her Future: Bleak
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
II. Her Faith: Bold
- Those in trouble are called on to exercise their faith.
Matthew 17:20 (NIV) He replied, “Because you have so little faith, I tell you the truth, if you have the faith as small as a mustard see, you can say to the mountain, ‘Move from her to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Hebrew 11:6 (NIV) And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- Faith honors God and God honors faith.
III. Her Future: Bright and Blessed