Psalm 124 (NET) – A song of ascents; by David.
1 “If the Lord had not been on our side”—let Israel say this.—
2 if the Lord had not been on our side, when men attacked us,
3 they would have swallowed us alive, when their anger raged against us.
4 The water would have overpowered us; the current would have overwhelmed us.
5 The raging water would have overwhelmed us.
6 The Lord deserves praise, for he did not hand us over as prey to their teeth.
7 We escaped with our lives, like a bird from a hunter’s snare. The snare broke, and we escaped.
8 Our deliverer is the Lord, the Creator of heaven and earth.
I. Reflect on the Past
- Reflect on the past – do not live in the past!
- We are not immune to trouble
- We have had enemies who were intent on our complete destruction and there was nothing that we could do about it.
- But God blocked it!
Point to Ponder: If God helps His people when they are in desperate situations, why doesn’t He just prevent those situations in the first place?
- Trouble can come because we DO trust Him!
God allows problems to. . .
- Direct us
- Correct us
- Inspect us
- Protect us
II. Remember The Person
Who. . .
- Spared you
- Provided for you
- Gracious to you
III. Respond with Praise
- Praise Him for what He did in the past.
- Praise Him for what He is doing in the present.
- Praise Him for what He will do in the future!
Psalm 124:8 (NCV) – Our help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 46:1 (KJV) – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Romans 8:31-32 (ESV) – 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?