Matthew 5:38-42 GNV
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’
39 But now I tell you: do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too.
40 And if someone takes you to court to sue you for your shirt, let him have your coat as well.
41 And if one of the occupation troops forces you to carry his pack one mile, carry it two miles.
42 When someone asks you for something, give it to him; when someone wants to borrow something, lend it to him.
Matthew 27:32 GNV – As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene named Simon, and the soldiers forced him to carry Jesus’ cross.
The first mile is for approval.
The second mile is for achievement.
In regards to:
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:21 GNV – “You have heard that people were told in the past, ‘Do not commit murder; anyone who does will be brought to trial.’
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:22-26 GNV – 22 But now I tell you: if you are angry with your brother you will be brought to trial, if you call your brother ‘You good-for-nothing!’ you will be brought before the Council, and if you call your brother a worthless fool you will be in danger of going to the fire of hell. 23 So if you are about to offer your gift to God at the altar and there you remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar, go at once and make peace with your brother, and then come back and offer your gift to God. 25 “If someone brings a lawsuit against you and takes you to court, settle the dispute while there is time, before you get to court. Once you are there, you will be turned over to the judge, who will hand you over to the police, and you will be put in jail. 26 There you will stay, I tell you, until you pay the last penny of your fine.
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:27 GNV – “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:28-30 GNV – 28 But now I tell you: anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart. 29 So if your right eye causes you to sin, take it out and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose a part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose one of your limbs than to have your whole body go off to hell.
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:31 GNV –”It was also said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.'[
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:32 GNV – But now I tell you: if a man divorces his wife for any cause other than her unfaithfulness, then he is guilty of making her commit adultery if she marries again; and the man who marries her commits adultery also.
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:33 GNV – “You have also heard that people were told in the past, ‘Do not break your promise, but do what you have vowed to the Lord to do.’
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:34-37 GNV – 34 But now I tell you: do not use any vow when you make a promise. Do not swear by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by earth, for it is the resting place for his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Do not even swear by your head, because you cannot make a single hair white or black. 37 Just say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’—anything else you say comes from the Evil One.
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:38 GNV
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:39-42 GNV
- Basic Concept: Matthew 5:43 GNV – “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your friends, hate your enemies.’
- Broadened Concept: Matthew 5:44-48 GNV – 44 But now I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may become the children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun to shine on bad and good people alike, and gives rain to those who do good and to those who do evil. 46 Why should God reward you if you love only the people who love you? Even the tax collectors do that! 47 And if you speak only to your friends, have you done anything out of the ordinary? Even the pagans do that! 48 You must be perfect—just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
- Love beyond what is returned
- Unlimited reciprocity
- Limited reciprocity
- Limited love
The reason we forgive is because:
- Hate is a cancer that mars the container.
- You can’t receive what you are unwilling to give.
- Not minimizing the offense
- Not reconciliation
- Forfeiting the right to get even.
- Give beyond what is requested
Exodus 22:26-27 GNV – 26 If you take someone’s cloak as a pledge that he will pay you, you must give it back to him before the sun sets, 27 because it is the only covering he has to keep him warm. What else can he sleep in? When he cries out to me for help, I will answer him because I am merciful.
It is better to be defrauded than to be resentful.
- Serve beyond than what is required