Philippians 4:8 GNV In conclusion, my friends, fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable. Romans 12:2 GNV – Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God—what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect.
Reasons God is concerned about your mind
1. My thoughts control my life Proverbs 4:23 GNV – Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.You can never do what you mentally cannot see yourself doing.If you accept certain thoughts, even if not true, it shapes your life.
2. My mind is the battleground for temptation. Romans 7:22-23 LBT – 22 I love to do God’s will so far as my new nature is concerned; 23 but there is something else deep within me, in my lower nature, that is at war with my mind and wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. In my mind I want to be God’s willing servant, but instead I find myself still enslaved to sin.Whatever gets your attention, gets you.
3. It is the key to peace and happiness. Romans 8:6 NLT – So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. Romans 7:21-25 GNV – 21 So I find that this law is at work: when I want to do what is good, what is evil is the only choice I have. 22 My inner being delights in the law of God. 23 But I see a different law at work in my body—a law that fights against the law which my mind approves of. It makes me a prisoner to the law of sin which is at work in my body. 24 What an unhappy man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is taking me to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ! This, then, is my condition: on my own I can serve God’s law only with my mind, while my human nature serves the law of sin.
How to Get My Mind to Mind
1. Feed my mind with God’s word Matthew 4:4 NLT – But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
• Feed your mind in the morning Psalm 119:147 NLT – I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words.
• Feed your mind in the afternoon Psalm 119:97 NLT – Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long.
• Feed your mind in the night Psalm 16:7 NLT – I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me.
2. Free your mind of destructive thoughts. Our minds need liberation from:
• Our old nature Romans 7:23 NLT – But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Romans 8:5 NLT – Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.
• The world’s value system 1 John 2:16 NLT – For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.
The nature in you Satan is against you
The world is around you 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NLT – 3 We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. 4 We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. 5 We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ. James 1:14-15 GNV – 14 But we are tempted when we are drawn away and trapped by our own evil desires. 15 Then our evil desires conceive and give birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.The Battleground is in the mind A. Desire B. Doubt C. Deception D. Defeat Temptation is a battle between now and later. 2 Corinthians 4:18 GNV – For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts forever. 1 John 2:17 GNV – The world and everything in it that people desire is passing away; but those who do the will of God live forever. Pay now; play later Play now; pay later Ephesians 6:17 NCV – Accept God’s salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV – No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.