Message Notes for Saturday, September 22, 2018 – Sunday, September 23, 2018
Saying No in Order to Say Yes!
SERIES – Crazy Faith
Hebrews 11:23-29 NIV
- 23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
- 24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.
- 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time.
- 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
- 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.
- 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling ofblood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
- 29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, theywere drowned.
Exodus 1:8-10, 22 NIV
- 8 Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt.
- 9 “Look,” he said to his people, “the Israelites have become much too numerous for us.
- 10 Come, we must deal shrewdly with them or they will become even more numerous and, if war breaks out,will join our enemies, fight against us and leave thecountry.”
22 Then Pharaoh gave this order to all his people: “Every boy that is born you must throw into the Nile, but let
every girl live.”
Exodus 2:1-15 NIV
- 1 Now a man of the house of Levi married a Levite woman,
- 2 and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son.When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him forthree months.
- 3 But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile.
- 4 His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him.
- 5 Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the river bank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her slave girl to get it.
- 6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.
- 7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?”
- 8 “Yes, go,” she answered. And the girl went and got the baby’s mother.
- 9 Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you.” So the woman took the baby and nursed him.
- 10 When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”
- 11 One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people.
- 12 Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.
- 13 The next day he went out and saw two Hebrewsfighting. He asked the one in the wrong, “Why are youhitting your fellow Hebrew?”
- 14 The man said, “Who made you ruler and judge over us? Are you thinking of killing me as you killed the Egyptian?” Then Moses was afraid and thought, “What I did must have become known.”
- 15 When Pharaoh heard of this, he tried to kill Moses, butMoses fled from Pharaoh and went to live in Midian,where he sat down by a well.
Only when you say NO to the trite can you have the freedom to say YES to the things that really matter.
Hope is never ILL when faith is WELL. Faith sees GOD and God sees FAITH.
I. Faith to DEFY the LAWS of Egypt
Non-cooperation with EVIL is just as essential as
cooperation with GOOD.
Moses’ parents had:
• COOPERATIVE faith• COURAGEOUS faith• CREDULOUS faith
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Faith to DENY the LIFE in Egypt
• HAD him
HID him HIPPED him
No one has truly grown up until they have SOCIAL CONCERNS.
Types of people in the church:
1. LEADERS 2. LABORERS 3. LOOKERS
What Moses say no to:
Faith to DEPART the LAND of Egypt
1 Timothy 1:16 NLT – But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.
God not only wants us to ENJOY our lives, but God wants us to EMPLOY our lives.
Moses has the faith to defy the Kings:
• AUTHORITY• ANGER
You have never trusted God until you have trusted God in an IMPOSSIBLE SITUATION.