Message Notes for Sunday, September 9, 2018
Faith Dares to be Different
SERIES: Crazy Faith
Hebrews 11:7 ESV
By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
Genesis 6:1-22 ESV
- 1 When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them,
- 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose.
- 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in manforever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”
- 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.
- 5 The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
- 6 And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
- 7 So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I amsorry that I have made them.”
- 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
- 9 These are the generations of Noah. Noah was arighteous man, blameless in his generation. Noahwalked with God.
- 10 And Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
- 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and theearth was filled with violence.
- 12 And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt,for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.
- 13 And God said to Noah, “I have determined to makean end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violencethrough them. Behold, I will destroy them with theearth.
- 14 Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms inthe ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch.
- 15 This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits.
- 16 Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above,and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it withlower, second, and third decks.
- 17 For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earthto destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life underheaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.
- 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you shallcome into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and yoursons’ wives with you.
- 19 And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring twoof every sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and female.
- 20 Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground, according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you to keep them alive.
- 21 Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, andstore it up. It shall serve as food for you and for them.”
- 22 Noah did this; he did all that God commanded him.
Evil in the world shakes our faith in:
2. Right and wrong3. God
Psalm 11:3 NIV – When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?”
• De-creation• Re-creation
Scenes of Noah’s Life
I. Noah builds an Ark (vs. 11-20)
Things that Characterize the Faith of Noah
1. Noah had a faith of adventureHebrews 11:7
2. Noah had a faith of obedience (v. 22, 7:5)
Genesis 7:5 ESV – And Noah did all that the Lord had commanded him.
Genesis 2:5-6 NLT – When the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, 5 neither wild plants nor grains were growing on the earth. The Lord God had not yet sent rain to water the earth, and there were no people to cultivate the soil. 6 Instead, springs came up from the ground and
watered all the land.
3. Noah had a faith of endurance.
Genesis 7:11 ESV – In the six hundredth year of Noah’s
life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened.
Genesis 5:32 ESV – After Noah was 500 years old, Noah fathered Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
Matthew 24:37-39 ESV – 37 For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in thosedays before the flood they were eating and drinking,marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the floodcame and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
II. Noah goes on the Ark
Genesis 6:20 NIV – Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.
Genesis 6:16 KJV – A window shalt thou make to the ark,and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of theark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
Genesis 7:13-16 ESV – 13 On the very same day Noah and his sons, Shem and Ham and Japheth, and Noah’s wife and the three wives of his sons with them entered the ark,14 they and every beast, according to its kind, and all
the livestock according to their kinds, and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, according to its kind, and every bird, according to its kind, every winged creature. 15They went into the ark with Noah, two and two of all fleshin which there was the breath of life. 16 And those thatentered, male and female of all flesh, went in as God hadcommanded him. And the Lord shut him in.
III. Noah waits on the Ark
Genesis 7:17 KJV – And the flood was forty days upon the
earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
Genesis 8:13-14 NLT – 13 Noah was now 601 years old. Onthe first day of the new year, ten and a half months after the flood began, the floodwaters had almost dried upfrom the earth. Noah lifted back the covering of the boat and saw that the surface of the ground was drying. 14 Two more months went by, and at last the earth was dry!
IV. Noah leaves the Ark
Genesis 7:17 ESV – The flood continued forty days on theearth. The waters increased and bore up the ark, and it rose high above the earth.
Genesis 8:1-4 ESV – 1 But God remembered Noah and
all the beasts and all the livestock that were with him in
the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided. 2 The fountains of the deep and
the windows of the heavens were closed, the rain from
the heavens was restrained, 3 and the waters receded from the earth continually. At the end of 150 days the waters had abated, 4 and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
Things Will Tempt You to Give Up
3. People (Hebrews 11:7)