Message Notes for Saturday, September 8, 2018
Facing the Second Forgetting
Psalm 88 (NKJV)
A Song. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. To the Chief Musician. Set to “Mahalath Leannoth.” A Contemplation of Heman the Ezrahite.
- 1 O Lord, God of my salvation, I have cried outday and night before You.
- 2 Let my prayer come before You; Incline Yourear to my cry.
- 3 For my soul is full of troubles, And my lifedraws near to the grave.
- 4 I am counted with those who go down to thepit; I am like a man who has no strength,
- 5 Adrift among the dead, Like the slain who lie in the grave, Whom You remember no more,And who are cut off from Your hand.
- 6 You have laid me in the lowest pit, Indarkness, in the depths.
- 7 Your wrath lies heavy upon me, And Youhave afflicted me with all Your waves. Selah
- 8 You have put away my acquaintances far from me; You have made me an abomination to them; I am shut up, and I cannot get out;
- 9 My eye wastes away because of affliction.Lord, I have called daily upon You; I have stretched out my hands to You.
- 10 Will You work wonders for the dead? Shall the dead arise and praise You? Selah
- 11 Shall Your lovingkindness be declared in the grave? Or Your faithfulness in the place of destruction?
- 12 Shall Your wonders be known in the dark? And Your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
- 13 But to You I have cried out, O Lord, And in the morning my prayer comes before You.
- 14 Lord, why do You cast off my soul? Why do You hide Your face from me?
- 15 I have been afflicted and ready to die frommy youth; I suffer Your terrors; I am distraught.
- 16 Your fierce wrath has gone over me; Yourterrors have cut me off.
- 17 They came around me all day long like water; They engulfed me altogether.
- 18 Loved one and friend You have put far from me, And my acquaintances into darkness.
The First Forgetting: The PersonAfflicted with Alzheimer’s disease or Dementia
Alzheimer’s disease is a thief
It robs spouses of lifetime companions
It robs children of parents and grandparents
Alzheimer’s disease has no:
• Way of slowing the progress of the disease
Once you get Alzheimer’s disease, you willeither die with it or from it.
Famous people who suffered from Alzheimer’s
Memories Judgment Independence Control
Time Identity Life
Rosa Parks Pat Summit
Sugar Ray Robinson Ronald Reagan
HIV down 29%
Stroke down 20%
Heart disease down 13% Prostate cancer down 8% Breast cancer down 3%Alzheimer’s disease UP 66%
In 2009, 11 million Americans provided 12.5 billion hours of unpaid care to family and friends withAlzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
Two-thirds of caregivers rate the stress as high or very high.
Alzheimer’s on track to bankrupt America: $1Trillion impact by 2050.
The Second Forgetting:o We forget what God can do!o God’s grace
o God’s love