Galatians 5:22-23 GNV
- 22 But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- 23 humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these.
Mark 12:28-31 GNV
- 28 A teacher of the Law was there who heard the discussion. He saw that Jesus had
given the Sadducees a good answer, so
he came to him with a question: “Which commandment is the most important of all?”
- 29 Jesus replied, “The most important one is this: ‘Listen, Israel! The Lord our God is the only Lord.
- 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’
- 31 The second most important commandment is this: ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment more important than these two.”
The Holy Spirit of God empowers is to DO something and to BE something.
I. The UPWARD move of love
To love God means to make God your life’s TOP PRIORITY.
Exodus 20:3 NLT – You must not have any other god but me.
Psalm 73:25 GNV – What else do I have in heaven but you? Since I have you, what else could I want on earth?
Revelation 2:1-7 ESV – 1 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you,
that you have abandoned the love you had
at first. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.
6 Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has
an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’
• REMEMBER • REPENT
The OUTWARD move of love
1 John 4:7 GNV – Dear friends, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Whoever loves is a child of God and knows God.
STORGE- Natural affection
PHILEO – friendship
EROS- Erotic and sexual
AGAPE- seeking the BEST for all people, including those who are seeing your WORST.
III. The INWARD move of love God loves is not because we are VALUABLE, we
are VALUABLE because God loves us.
For Christians, love is a:
2 John 6 GNV – This love I speak of means that we must live in obedience to God’s commands. The command, as you have all heard from the beginning, is that you must all live in love.
• COMMITMENT • CONDUCT
Love is not about what we FEEL, love is about what we WILL.
Love DOES the right thing
Love NOURISHES the right thing Love APPLAUDS the right thing