When Sleep Won’t Come
SERIES: When All Hell Breaks Loose
Job 7:1-7 GNV
1 Human life is like forced army service, like a life of hard manual labor,
2 like a slave longing for cool shade; like a worker waiting to be paid.
3 Month after month I have nothing to live for; night after night brings me grief.
4 When I lie down to sleep, the hours drag; I toss all night and long for dawn.
5 My body is full of worms; it is covered with scabs; pus runs out of my sores.
6 My days pass by without hope, pass faster than a weaver’s shuttle.
7 Remember, O God, my life is only a breath; my happiness has already ended.
Sections in the book of Job:
- Job’s DILEMMA, chapters 1-2
- Job’s DEVATE, chapters 3-37
- Job’s DELIVERANCE, chapters 38-42
Sabbath is a time to…
- Rest your body
- Refocus your spirit
- Recharge your emotions
Mark 2:27 KJV – And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
John 4:6 GNV – Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired out by the trip, sat down by the well. It was about noon.
Mark 6:30-31 KJV – 30 And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught. 31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
- Job’s REFLECTION
- Life is FORMIDABLE
- SLEEP-ONSET insomnia
- MAINTENANCE insomnia
- RESTLESS insomnia
- Life is FRUSTRATING
- Life is FRAGILE
Psalm 23:1-4 KJV – 1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- God’s REACTION
God’s reaction from points above for…
- Matthew 11:28-30 KJV – 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Exodus 5:7-9 KJV – 7 Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves. 8 And the tale of the bricks, which they did make heretofore, ye shall lay upon them; ye shall not diminish ought thereof: for they be idle; therefore they cry, saying, Let us go and sacrifice to our God. 9 Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words.
Isaiah 1:4-6 KJV – 4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the Lord, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward. 5 Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. 6 From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.
- Isaiah 40:28-31 KJV – 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Psalm 121:4 KJV – Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep
1 Peter 5:7 KJV – Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Deuteronomy 33:25 KJV – Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; and as thy days, so shall thy strength be.
- 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 GNV – 7 But to keep me from being puffed up with pride because of the many wonderful things I saw, I was given a painful physical ailment, which acts as Satan’s messenger to beat me and keep me from being proud. 8 Three times I prayed to the Lord about this and asked him to take it away. 9 But his answer was: “My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak.” I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ’s power over me.
Matthew 8:24 KJV – And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
God can calm the STORM
God can calm your HEART
Hour by Hour
God broke our years to hours and days,
that hour by hour and day by day,
We might be able all along
to keep quite strong.
Should all the weight of life
Be laid across our shoulders, and the future,
rife with woe and struggle, meet us face to face
At just one place we could not go.
Our feet would stop, and so
God lays a little on us every day.
And never, I believe, on all the way,
Will burdens bear so deep,
Or pathways lie so steep,
But we can go, if, by God’s power,
We only bear THE BURDEN OF THE HOUR.