SERIES: Unselfie—The Art of Living Unselfishly
Luke 14:7-14 GNV
7 Jesus noticed how some of the guests were choosing the best places, so he told this parable to all of them:
8 “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not sit down in the best place. It could happen that someone more important than you has been invited,
9 and your host, who invited both of you, would have to come and say to you, “Let him have this place.’ Then you would be embarrassed and have to sit in the lowest place.
10 Instead, when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that your host will come to you and say, “Come on up, my friend, to a better place.’ This will bring you honor in the presence of all the other guests.
11 For those who make themselves great will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be made great.”
12 Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a lunch or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or your rich neighbors – for they will invite you back, and in this way you will be paid for what you did.
13 When you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind;
14 and you will be blessed, because they are not able to pay you back. God will repay you on the day the good people rise from death.”
- Don’t define your SELF by your SEAT.
Don’t define your PERSON by your POSITION.
- Everybody you meet is better than you at SOMETHING.
Education is simply going from an unconscious to a conscious awareness of one’s IGNORANCE.
- We STUMBLE when we are not HUMBLE.
Answer yes or no to the following questions:
- If I can’t be the center of attention I won’t participate
- I have to have the best place or I pout.
- It’s all about me
- I have a need to be right
- I don’t like to be corrected
- My feelings get hurt easy
- I don’t get enough appreciation
- I take delight in the downfall of someone successful (example Tom Brady and deflategate).
- I don’t participate if things don’t go my way
- I tend to be impatient with others
If you answered yes to three or more, you have the sin of PRIDE.
If you answered no to all of them, you have the sin of LYING.
Self defeating ways to advance ourselves:
- Pulling ourselves up by PUTTING others down.
- Unkind criticism is a coverup for self INFERIORITY
- We often TALK DOWN what we are not big enough to be.
- We always BELITTLE what we feel INFERIOR to.
What makes you great is not your CREDENTIALS but your CONCERN!