SERIES: Unselfie—The Art of Living Unselfishly
Luke 12:13-21 MSG
13 Someone out of the crowd said, “Teacher, order my brother to give me a fair share of the family inheritance.”
14 He replied, “Mister, what makes you think it’s any of my business to be a judge or mediator for you?”
15 Speaking to the people, he went on, “Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot.”
16 Then he told them this story: “The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop.
17 He talked to himself: ‘What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.’
18 Then he said, ‘Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods,
19 and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’
20 “Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’
21 “That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.”
Jesus did not come to make bad men good or good men better, but DEAD men ALIVE.
Greed is wanting more of what you already HAVE ENOUGH OF.
The richest person in the world is not the person who has the MOST, but the one who needs the LEAST.
- MATERIALism…my value is based on how much I ACQUIRE
- HEDONism…the goal of life is PERSONAL PLEASURE and SELF-FULFILLMENT
- CONSUMERism….your happiness is the chief aim of LIFE.
People are just TOOLS to be used for the fulfillment of my AMBITION.
- SECURLARism… MAN centered approval instead of GOD centered approval
A fool is someone who lives contrary to REALITY
Matthew 6:24 GNV – “You cannot be a slave of two masters; you will hate one and love the other; you will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Greatness is not based on what you OWN or EARN, but what you are willing to give to PEOPLE and PURPOSES.
Proverbs 11:24-25 MSG – 24 The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller. 25 The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘what are you doing for OTHERS?'”
- Who will benefit besides yourself of God allows your PRAYERS to be answered and your DREAM to come true?
- What kind of LEGACY will you leave behind, what kind of DESTINY will you have ahead.
Death makes us all GENEROUS.
Christian Resolutions – I resolve:
- To take the time to be quiet and listen to God in prayer
- To help strengthen my Church through: service, giving and evangelism.
- To love the hardest those who are the closest: spouses, children, siblings and friends
- To be a blessing to those who are in trouble and in need.
- Build bridges of racial reconciliation
- To be an advocate for children, especially those who are trapped in poverty
- To help keep my neighborhood clean
- To spend less time: complaining about problems and more time solving them, less time arguing and more time listening, less time obsessing about food and more time eating well, less time before a screen and more time exercising
- To practice civility, politeness and courtesy on social media
- To replace disappointment and despair with joy, contentment and hope