Galatians 5:22-23 NIV
- 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
James 5:7-11 NLT
- 7 Dear brothers and sisters, be patient as
you wait for the Lord’s return. Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They eagerly look for the valuable harvest to ripen.
- 8 You, too, must be patient. Take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near.
- 9 Don’t grumble about each other, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. For look— the Judge is standing at the door!
- 10 For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
- 11 We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. For instance, you know about Job, a man of great endurance. You can see how the Lord was kind to him at the end, for the Lord is full of tenderness and mercy.
The True Measure of a Person:
- The height of thier DREAMS
- The width of their COMPASSION
- The depth of their CONVICTIONS
- The length of their PATIENCEPatience is two combined greek words in the New Testament:
- Makros – LONG
- Thumos – HEATII Corinthians 4:8-9 NLT – 8 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. 9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.
Patience is the determination to live by FAITH and not by FEELINGS.
Patience is the commitment to respond to life’s • challenges with GROWTH and not GRIEF.
II Peter 3:8-9 NLT – 8 But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. 9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.
When to be Patient:
I. When dealing with DIFFICUL PEOPLE.
I Corinthians 13:4 NLT – Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud
People naturally RESIST change.
People typically RESENT people who try to change them.
II. When dealing with DEMANDING PROBLEMS.
Job went through: • DESTITUTION • DEATH
III. When dealing with DEVELOPING
Why be Patient:
1. God is in CONTROL
2. God will BLESS YOU
3. While you are WAITING, God is WORKING