How to Walk on Water
Matthew 14:22-33 NLT
- 22 Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home.
- 23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
- 24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.
- 25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water.
- 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the
water, they were terrified. In their fear, they
cried out, “It’s a ghost!”
- 27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be
afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”
- 28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really
you, tell me to come to you, walking on the
- 29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over
the side of the boat and walked on the water
- 30 But when he saw the strong wind and the
waves, he was terrified and began to sink.
“Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
- 31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed
him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said.
“Why did you doubt me?”
- 32 When they climbed back into the boat, the
- 33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really
are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.
I. There are STORMS on the sea of life
Mark 6:45-48 GNV – 45 At once Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go ahead of him to Bethsaida, on the other side of the lake, while he sent the crowd away. 46 After saying good- bye to the people, he went away to a hill to pray. 47 When evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, while Jesus was alone on land. 48 He saw that his disciples were straining at the oars, because they were rowing against the wind; so sometime between three and six o’clock in the morning, he came to them, walking on the water. He was going to pass them by,
Genesis 16:13 NLT – Thereafter, Hagar used another name to refer to the Lord, who had spoken to her. She said, “You are the God who sees me.” She also said, “Have I truly seen the One who sees me?”
II. There is a SAVIOR on the sea of life
Hebrews 2:8 KJV – And she called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?
Isaiah 45:1-4, 13 NLT – 1 This is what the Lord says to Cyrus, his anointed one, whose right hand he will empower. Before him, mighty kings will be paralyzed with fear. Their fortress gates will be opened, never to shut again. 2 This is what the Lord says: “I will go before you, Cyrus, and level the mountains. I will smash down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. 3 And I will give
you treasures hidden in the darkness— secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the one who calls
you by name. 4 “And why have I called you for this work? Why did I call you by name when you did not know me? It is for the sake of Jacob my servant, Israel my chosen one. 13 I will raise up Cyrus to fulfill my righteous purpose, and I will guide his actions. He will restore my city and free my captive people— without seeking a reward! I, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, have spoken!” Isaiah 43:2 KJV – When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Isaiah 43:18-19 KJV – 18 Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. 19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
III. There’s a SAINT on the sea of life