A Mother’s Wage SERIES: Touched by Greatness – Lessons from the Women in Moses’ Life
Exodus 2:1-11 KJV
- 1 And there went a man of the house of Levi, and took to wife a daughter of Levi.
- 2 And the woman conceived, and bare a son: and when she saw him that he was a goodly child, she hid him three months.
- 3 And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the ags by the river’s brink.
- 4 And his sister stood afar off, to wit what would be done to him.
- 5 And the daughter of Pharaoh came down to wash herself at the river; and her maidens walked along by the river’s side; and when she saw the ark among the ags, she sent her maid to fetch it.
- 6 And when she had opened it, she saw the child: and, behold, the babe wept. And she had compassion on him, and said, This is one of the Hebrews’ children.
- 7 Then said his sister to Pharaoh’s daughter, Shall I go and call to thee a nurse of the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for thee?
- 8 And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, Go. And the maid went and called the child’s mother.
- 9 And Pharaoh’s daughter said unto her, Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. And the woman took the child, and nursed it.
- 10 And the child grew, and she brought him unto Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water.
- 11 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brethren.
Hebrews 11:23-24 GNV
- 23 It was faith that made the parents of Moses hide him for three months after he was born. They saw that he was a beautiful child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s order.
- 24 It was faith that made Moses, when he had grown up, refuse to be called the son of the king’s daughter.
Pharaoh sought to destroy the Hebrew people through:
Exodus 1:8-14 GNV – 8 Then, a new king, who knew nothing about Joseph, came to power in Egypt. 9 He said to his people, “These Israelites are so numerous and strong that they are a threat to us. 10 In case of war they might join our enemies in order to ght against us, and might escape from the country. We must nd some way to keep them from becoming even more numerous.” 11 So the Egyptians put slave drivers over them to crush their spirits with hard labor. The Israelites built the cities of Pithom and Rameses to serve as supply centers for the king. 12 But the more the Egyptians oppressed the Israelites, the more they increased in number and the farther they spread through the land. The Egyptians came to fear the Israelites 13 and made
their lives miserable by forcing them into cruel slavery. 14 They made them work on their building projects and in their elds, and they had no pity on them.
Exodus 1:15-21 GNV – 15 Then the king of Egypt spoke to Shiphrah and Puah, the two midwives who helped the Hebrew women. 16 “When you help the Hebrew women give birth,” he said to them, “kill the baby if it is a boy; but if it is a girl, let it live.” 17 But the midwives were God-fearing and so did not obey the king; instead, they let the boys live. 18 So the king sent for the midwives and asked them, “Why are you doing this? Why are you letting the boys live?” 19 They answered, “The Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they give birth easily, and their babies are born before either of us gets there.” 20 Because the midwives were God-fearing, God was good to them and gave them families of their own. 21 And the Israelites continued to increase and become strong.
Exodus 1:22 GNV – Finally the king issued a command to all his people: “Take every newborn Hebrew boy and throw him into the Nile, but let all the girls live.”
I. The DEVASTATION she faced
How to respond to devastating news:
1. A-CCEPT it
2. C-ONSIDER your options 3. T-HINK strategic
II. The DETERMINATION she
Genesis 1:10 KJV – And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
Genesis 6:14 KJV – Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
Proverbs 4:26 GNV – Plan carefully what you do, and whatever you do will turn out right.
Proverbs 16:1 GNV – We may make our plans, but God has
the last word.
III.The DEDICATION she instilled